MAX PASS/FAST PASS
Fast Passes are a great way to avoid a 45-60+ minute wait on some of the most popular attractions – we always recommend using this system! As of July 19, 2017, there is a new Fast Pass system called “MaxPass.” Read on for all the details!
Basic Information About MaxPass/Fast Pass
- MaxPass/Fast Passes allow you to enter an express line instead of the standby line.
- MaxPass/Fast Pass will note a return time window to the attraction you book the Fast Pass for (ex: return anytime between 1:00 – 2:00 PM)
- Guests can either purchase MaxPass for $10 per day (per person with a ticket/Annual Pass) to book Fast Passes on the Disneyland App (meaning you do not have to walk to each attraction to pull a Fast Pass, you can book RIGHT when you walk into either park’s main gates or ANYWHERE in either park) OR continue to walk to each Fast Pass attraction to pull a paper Fast Pass for FREE. Again, you DO NOT HAVE TO PURCHASE MAX PASS IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO. The nice thing about MaxPass is you’ll notice return times to attractions are MUCH sooner than they are when pulling paper Fast Passes – you can get more rides done FASTER by utilizing MaxPass!
- You can purchase MaxPass directly through the Disneyland app (more info on this below), or add it when you purchase your admission tickets at a ticket booth.
- The $10 day price for MaxPass also includes free digital downloads of any photos taken by a PhotoPass Photographer during the day you purchase. Includes select attraction photos and character dining experience photos.
- Annual Passholders may add MaxPass as a daily add-on for $10 each day or add it for $75 each year of their Annual Pass at a Disneyland ticket booth. MaxPass is included with the Signature Plus and Premier Passports.
- To start using MaxPass, download the FREE Disneyland App – icon pictured below.
- Create a Disney account on the Disneyland App if you do not already have one.
- Log into your Disney account.
- Click your account image at the bottom of the main screen (photo of the app below shows Russell from Up!)
- Click the “My Tickets” tab – see below for icon.
- Link all tickets and Annual Passes that would like to utilize Max Pass to obtain Fast Passes by scanning the barcode on the Annual Pass or ticket – MaxPass must be purchased for EACH ticket/Annual Pass loaded onto the app (that’s $10 PER ticket/annual pass). You can use ONE phone to upload everyone’s tickets. If you have kids under the age of 3, they obviously don’t need a ticket to get into the parks, so you will not need to add their name to the app – they will just walk into the Fast Pass line with you.
- Once everyone’s ticket or Annual Pass is loaded, click “Get Fast Pass” – see below for icon. Once you hit “Get Fast Pass,” you’ll be directed to a screen that says “Disney MaxPass” – hit “continue” at the bottom of the screen.
- Once you’ve hit continue, you’ll be directed to a page to purchase MaxPass for each ticket/annual pass (pictured below). After you’ve purchased MaxPass for all of the ticket and annual passes, you will receive a confirmation (pictured below).
- Next, you’ll want to choose either Disneyland or California Adventure to book a Fast Pass (your ticket or Annual Pass MUST have already been scanned into one of the parks at the main gate turnstiles to start using MaxPass) – it doesn’t matter what park you’re in to book Fast Passes, you just have to be scanned into the turnstiles at ONE park to book Fast Passes for either park.
- Choose an attraction from a list that will generate – the list will show each attractions’ current standby wait time and the next available Fast Pass time (you can NOT choose a specific time, you must choose the return time the app notes). The list of attractions will also tell you which attraction no longer has Fast Passes for the day (see the last photo below for example).
- If you find an attraction that has a return time that is good for you, hit the return time noted in blue (pictured above – example: 9:35 AM-10:35 AM), if it doesn’t work for you, you can go back to the attraction list and choose another.
- After you’ve reserved your Fast Pass, be sure to take a look at the time the app will tell you that you can book another Fast Pass. See below for example.
- Only ONE attraction from ONE park may be booked at a time. IMPORTANT: Fantasmic! and World of Color Fast Passes can NOT be booked on using MaxPass on the Disneyland App – you MUST walk to the attraction distribution locations to get a paper Fast Pass. World of Color distribution is located next to The Little Mermaid ride in California Adventure and Fantasmic! distribution machines are located along Big Thunder Trail in Disneyland. ALSO IMPORTANT: These show’s Fast Passes are “disconnected,” meaning you can hold BOTH Fantasmic! and World of Color Fast Passes at the same time AND continue to book attraction Fast Passes all day.
- When it’s time to return to the attraction you have reserved, you will open up the Disneyland App, click your profile tab and open up the Fast Pass tab to then scan the barcode(s) at the scanner located at the Fast Pass attraction’s entrance – the light on the scanner will turn green which means you’re good to go!
Booking Fast Passes WITHOUT Max Pass
- Head to the attraction you’d like to pull a Fast Pass for and find the Fast Pass distribution machines.
- Insert your Annual Pass or park admission ticket into the machine to receive a paper receipt with your Fast Pass return time.
- When you’re ready to head to the attraction during your return window, you’ll scan your park ticket or annual pass (NOT your paper receipt) at the scanner machine at the entrance to the attraction (pictured below).
Fast Pass Rules
- You can only hold ONE Fast Pass at a time with the exception of “disconnected” entertainment that offer Fast Passes like World of Color in California Adventure and Fantasmic! at Disneyland. Disconnected Fast Passes can be held all day while you pull other Fast Passes. Entertainment Fast Passes can NOT be obtained on MaxPass, you MUST pull a paper Fast Pass for those two shows.
- You can’t hold a Fast Pass from Disneyland and California Adventure at the same time with the exception of holding a Fantasmic! and World of Color Fast Pass at the same time.
- You cannot pull another Fast Pass until the return time stated on the pass OR until 2 hours has passed since the Fast Pass you currently hold was pulled.
- One person from your party can get everyone’s Fast Pass (we think this is the best way to do it), but will need all park entry tickets to do so. Each person wanting a Fast Pass will have to have had their park entry ticket scanned (be IN the parks) before a Fast Pass can be pulled.
- Fast Passes are only good for the day they are issued.
- Kids under 3 do NOT need a Fast Pass since they don’t need a ticket to get into the park (kids under 3 are free), they won’t have a ticket to insert into a distribution machine.
Attractions that offer Fast Pass at Disneyland
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
- Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
- Star Tours (distributed across the walkway from the ride, next to Buzz Lightyear Astroblasters)
- Space Mountain
- Haunted Mansion
- Indiana Jones Adventure (distributed between Indiana Jones and The Jungle Cruise)
- Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin
- Splash Mountain
- Matterhorn Bobsleds
- Fantasmic! (this is a “disconnected” Fast Pass, so you can hold other Fast Passes throughout the day along with it) – distributed along Big Thunder Trail.
Attractions that offer Fast Pass at California Adventure
- World of Color (distribution by The Little Mermaid ride on Paradise Pier – disconnected Fast Pass)
- Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: Breakout!
- California Screamin’
- Grizzly River Run
- Goofy’s Sky School
- Radiator Springs Racers (distribution next to A Bug’s Land entrance)
- Soarin’ Around the World
- Toy Story Midway Mania
What Fast Pass to get first:
- Starting your day in California Adventure? Get a Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: Breakout Fast Pass OR Radiator Springs Racers! If you’re not into either of those rides, we suggest getting a Soarin’ Around the World Fast Pass, then World of Color since it’s a disconnected Fast Pass. We recommend riding whichever attraction you DIDN’T get a Fast Pass for standby (in the regular line) right after you get the Fast Pass for the other attraction. ***If you have kiddos who do NOT meet the height requirement for any of those attractions, we suggest grabbing a Toy Story Midway Mania Fast Pass FIRST thing in the morning (no height requirement for this ride).
- Starting your day at Disneyland? Get a Fast Pass for Star Tours, then ride Space Mountain (Star Tours Fast Pass distribution is along the walkway to Space Mountain, so it’s easiest to do it that way). If you don’t care for those 2 attractions, head to Indiana Jones to grab a Fast Pass first, then ride Big Thunder Mountain Railroad standby. Somewhere in between your first Fast Passes/rides of the morning, we recommend also grabbing a Fast Pass for Fantasmic! since it’s a disconnected Fast Pass (once again, you can hold an attraction and Fantasmic! Fast Pass at the same time).
RIDER SWITCH PASS
You’re at the parks with your littles, and you want to go on a “big kid” ride. For the good of the group, you stifle the inner thrill-seeker, & continue on to yet another round of the Teacups. Well, NO LONGER. The “Rider Switch Pass” is your golden ticket to temporary freedom!
Attractions that offer Rider Switch in Disneyland:
- Big Thunder Mountain
- Hyperspace Mountain
- Indiana Jones
- The Matterhorn
- Splash Mountain
- Star Tours
- Gadget’s Go Coaster
In California Adventure:
- California Screamin’
- Jumpin’ Jellyfish
- Tower of Terror
- Goofy’s Sky School
- Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree
- Radiator Springs Racers
- Soarin’ over CA
- Luigi’s Rollickin’ Roadsters
- Tuck & Roll’s Drive ’em Buggies
- Grizzly River Run
- Toy Story Midway Mania
HOW IT WORKS:
- Head to the attraction you’d like to use Rider Switch on and let the Cast Member at the attraction entrance know you would like to use Rider Switch.
- Your group will be divided into TWO Parties. PARTY 1 will board the attraction first and PARTY 2 will be those in your group riding the attraction second. The Cast Member will give your entire party a return time to utilize your Rider Switch. THREE guests are allowed per Rider Switch Pass. PARTY 2 (anyone who will not be riding the first time) will have their ticket or Annual Pass scanned.
- When you’re ready to return to the attraction, Party 1 will enter the standby line queue first and ride the attraction.
- After PARTY 1 rides the attraction, PARTY 2 is then “switched” to PARTY 1.
- PARTY 2 enters the FAST PASS line, has admission tickets or Annual Passes scanned again and boards the attraction.
- If the person in PARTY 2 waited alone with the child, he or she may bring one guest back to ride the attraction with him or her (so one guest will get to ride twice in a row)!
- You can use the Rider Switch pass in conjunction with a Fast Pass.
Cut your wait time down significantly and ride alone (must be 7 to ride alone)! Just ask a Cast Member at the attraction for a single rider pass, or enter through the single rider line (see below for line info). We do this when lines get too backed up!
Attractions in Disneyland that offer Single Rider:
- Splash Mountain (enter through the exit)
- Indiana Jones (enter through the exit)
- The Matterhorn (enter through the exit)
Attractions in California Adventure that offer Single Rider:
- California Screamin’ (enter through the exit)
- Radiator Springs Racers (enter through the single rider queue – separate than standby or fast pass)
- Grizzly River Run (enter through the exit)
- Goofy’s Sky School (enter a separate line from the standby & fast pass lines)
MORE fun perks for attractions:
- These cute cards are such an awesome FREEBIE! The day your little one hits the height requirement for an attraction is the day you can use this Fast Pass with up to SIX guests to ride MOST attractions with a height requirement. How amazing is that?! You can also write the date your kiddo was able to ride in the space provided. SO cute! All you have to do is ask the Cast Member at the ride entrance for one of these little gems & save it in your wallet for that glorious day when you can take your kiddos on a “big kid” ride!
- Pictured below is the BUDDY PASS – a pass that will save you on the days when the wait for Monster’s, Inc. Mike & Sully to the Rescue is longer. This special pass is ONLY offered at this ride. The pass allows TWO people (or 3 if you & your littles can fit in the same row) to enter through the exit & fill in any empty seats that need two guests. Just ask the Cast Member standing at the entrance of the ride for a pass. This does not guarantee immediate boarding, but like we mentioned, it can cut down on your wait time.