Choosing a time to go to Disneyland is a big deal! Everyone wants to experience the parks when the crowd levels are lower, so we have information on best/most crowded times to vist! Below are TYPICALLY less crowded months, but with different school breaks, etc, attendance can vary. Keep in mind, the parks have seasonal pricing. Value days are the cheapest at $95, regular tickets are $105, & peak tickets are $119 (all to 1 park). Park Hopper tickets are a good value if you’re looking to spend multiple days at both parks. The daily ticket price drops for multi-day tickets. No matter when you decide to plan your trip, we recommend arriving early! For more info on early arrival, click here.
BEST MONTHS TO VISIT:
- Mid-Jan through Mid-Mar (President’s Day week can be crowded, but our favorite month is February – the weeks after President’s Day)
- Mid-April through Mid-May, excluding Spring Breaks
- Mid-Sept through Mid-Nov (with the exception of Halloween time – usually starts sometime early Sept). The second & third week of Oct are definitely ones to avoid due to Fall breaks.
The best days with the lowest crowd levels are usually Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. The park has shorter hours during these less crowded months, with the exception of a few days (weekends & select weekdays have longer hours – hours can be viewed on Disneyland’s website up to 6 weeks before your visit). You can expect cooler temps from Nov-Apr (60’s-70’s & coolest in the mornings & evenings).
Although Summer is more crowded & HOT, the parks have longer hours from June to Aug (8 AM – Midnight). You can decide if it’s worth it to have more time in the day to get everything in, although with young kids, we feel like those long hours aren’t always needed. If your kiddo or baby is a good stroller or carrier napper, then the longer hours are more doable! If you’re staying at a nearby hotel, heading back for naps is a good idea!
RUN Disney weekends can definitely bring in more people. Races for 2017 are listed below.
- Jan 12-15, 2017 – Star Wars 1/2 Marathon – The Light Side
- May 11-14, 2017 – Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon (during Mother’s Day weekend so it can be extra crowded).
August 31-September 3 – Disneyland Half Marathon
November 9-12 – Super Heroes Half Marathon
These special events below usually bring in more people:
- Halloween at Disneyland starts mid-September and ends October 31st. It tends to get more crowded starting second week of October through the end of the month (also more crowded because of AZ & UT Fall breaks). The separately ticketed Mickey’s Halloween Party nights start late September & are on Monday, Wednesday and Friday until Oct 31. No dates have been announced for this year, but if you’re wanting a full day at Disneyland on a Monday, Wednesday or Friday from late Sept to Oct 31, we suggest waiting to see the calendar (usually released end of July) of Mickey’s Halloween Party dates since the park CLOSES EARLY on the days the party happens. It closes at 6 PM on Mondays & Wednesdays and at 7 PM on Fridays. California Adventure stays open when Disneyland closes early for the party. If you have a Halloween Party ticket only, you can get into the park at 3 PM on Monday or Wednesday and at 4 PM on Friday (Halloween Party tickets are cheaper than general admission tickets & you get a good 8 hours out of the park).
- Grad Nite – allows students into both parks & also into a special night at California Adventure from 10 pm-2 am. DATES – May 5 through June 17 with most of the days falling on Wednesday’s, Friday’s & Saturday’s, except two days that fall on a Tuesday – Tuesday May 30 & Tuesday June 6
- D23 Expo – July 14, 15 & 16 at the Convention Center
Independently organized events:
- Dapper Day: April 22 & 23, 2017
- Bats Day: May 7, 2017
- Gay Days: October 6, 2017 – October 8, 2017
- Dapper Day: November 4 & 5, 2017